Attention: You need JavaScript enabled to use this site.

Contact us as soon as possible

We understand that talking to someone about money worries may feel daunting, but opening up about your finances is an important first step to help you regain control of your finances. If you feel like you’re struggling, don’t wait to contact us. The sooner you notify us, the quicker we can work with you to resolve any payment difficulties.

Simply contacting us to find out what options are available will not impact your credit score, but missing payments will do so.

Mortgage Charter: We’ve signed up to the Government’s new Mortgage Charter. For information about the support available visit our Mortgage Charter page.

Steps to consider

If you are struggling to meet your financial commitments you should prioritise your payments and pay all your essential bills first, such as:

  • Your mortgage
  • Any loans secured against your property
  • Utility bills
  • Insurances
  • Council tax
  • Housekeeping

These bills should be paid before making any payments to credit cards or unsecured loans. We also strongly recommend avoiding short term solutions such as payday loans.

We have a series of letter templates available for you to download here which you can use to contact creditors. An explanation is provided in each instance to help you decide which is the most suitable for your requirements.

Check you're getting all the support you are entitled to

Turn2us - a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. For more information contact 0808 802 2000 or visit

Council Tax Support – To see if you’re eligible for help with your Council Tax bills, contact your local council

Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Income and Support Allowance - For information and advice or to make a claim for benefit if you are under state pension age, phone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688 or visit

Pension Credit – For information and advice, or to make a claim if you are over state pension age, phone the Pension Service on 0800 731 0469 or visit

Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit – For more information about Tax Credits, phone 0345 300 3900 or visit

Macmillan Cancer Support – For support and advice, phone 0808 808 000 or visit

Helpful resources and tools

From the Building Societies Association and National Debtline
What to do if you can't pay your mortgage.

From the Financial Conduct Authority
Consumers struggling with rising prices urged to seek help
Dealing with the financial impact of rising costs of living

From Money Advice Service
Managing your money in uncertain times
Money Navigator Tool
How to prioritise your debts
Debt Advice Locator

From PayPlan

Organisations that offer help and advice

The below organisations offer free information and advice:


Phone: 0800 138 7777

National Debtline

Phone: 0808 808 4000

Business Debtline

Phone: 0800 197 6026

Pay Plan

Phone: 0800 280 2816


Phone: 0808 800 4444

Citizens Advice

Phone: Call your local advice centre

StepChange Debt Charity

Phone: 0800 138 1111

Budgetsmart with PayPlan

Free support to help you handle your costs.

We’ve partnered with PayPlan to provide further assistance to you if you are worried about your debt repayments. PayPlan have a Budget Smart tool – this allows you to select an area you feel that you may struggle – for example car costs, energy bills, rent, mortgage, amongst others. This free effective tool has already helped hundreds of thousands of people.

Find Out More

Frequently asked questions

Get in touch

Book an appointment

Use our online booking form to request an appointment in your nearest branch.

Book now

Give us a call

Lines are open 8:30am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday and 08:30am to 12:30pm on Saturday.


Send us a message

Send us a secure message and one of our experts will get back to you.

Send message

Need additional support?

Let us know if you need any additional support when managing your money and we will do what we can to help.

Let us know

Back to top